Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lions test side

I don't quite have XV yet, but with Halfpenny and Ferris going home, I have 13 starters. I should point out that O'Connell is in PURELY because Geech has him as tour captain. In my original selection of a touring party I had POC as a starter, now I'm not sure he's that quality any more. In all his games so far he's been rather anonymous as a player and not really showed clear leadership, at least not on TV. I rather have the impression that being Lions captain is inhibiting him, but then I'm not Geech and I'm not there...

But my starters are:

Jenkins
Mears
?

Wyn-Jones
O'Connell

Croft
? (Probably M. Williams but need to see him play)
Heaslip

Phillips
Jones
Fitzgerald
Roberts
O'Driscoll
Bowe
Byrne

If Williams gets the 7 shirt, I wouldn't be stunned to see Powell in the 8 shirt to start - they're used to working together and give you some sense of partnership, and I think Croft would compliment the pair of them, but I think Heaslip is probably a more generally solid 8 than Powell. Ryan Jones needs a mention... but probably not for the first test.

I would probably shift the captaincy to BOD and have the Scottish lock in for POC if I could. This would weaken the line-out for the Lions, but as New Zealand have proven time and again you can beat the Boks in South Africa without a really strong line-out. I think it would strengthen the Lions around the park, and the telling stats these days are not possession any more, but turn overs and penalties. Look at the matches that the All Blacks (and others, but the ABs have been doing it for a few years now) have won with <35% of the possession. When they get the ball, they're clinical and score, the rest of the time they trust their defence to stop the attack, get them turnovers and the like. It's hard to say it doesn't work when they are the #1 ranked team in the world so consistently. Leinster did it to Leicester and Munster in the HC too...

No comments: